A pedicure is a cosmetic treatment for feet and toenails, usually taking place in a salon or spa. This type of treatment can include soaking a foot in water to relax the skin; scrubbing the foot to remove any calluses and heal dry feet; and moisturizing the feet through massage techniques. While some of these methods of pedicures are helpful, there are many pro and con arguments related to the practice and its impact on foot health. If you’re experiencing foot related issues and want help, a podiatrist in Ronkonkoma will be able to help you today.
There are many benefits that pedicures offer to patients. Here are some of the pros to pedicure treatments:
• Prevention of infected toenails
• Reduced toe trauma
• Identifies and treats foot problems (bunions, corns, infections)
• Reduce stiffness through massages
• Increased body circulation through ankle massaging
While the positives to pedicures are certainly apparent, there are some negatives to the potential hazards that pedicures may show:
• When taking part in foot baths, the jets in a whirlpool contains different types of fungi and bacteria. As a result, the chances of getting viral infections, like warts and athlete’s foot, are much higher. If you’ve contracted these viruses, a podiatrist in Ronkonkoma will be able to help you.
• If you’re getting a pedicure and accidentally get a cut, the chance of getting an infection is vastly increased, especially since many salons don’t disinfect the tools they use during pedicures.
• Wooden tools are also risky when it comes to pedicure treatments, especially since these types of instruments can’t be sterilized. If you have the opportunity to bring your own tools, it could be a safer alternative.
Pedicures definitely have a lot of positives that can help promote a healthier lifestyle when it comes to your feet. However, there are some dangers that come with pedicures, including viral conditions and more foot complications. If you’ve experienced foot conditions that can’t be solved through a pedicure, Dr. Jeffrey Muroff Podiatry in Ronkonkoma will be able to help you and get you recovered.
For more information, contact us today!