Nail fungus is one of the most common types of nail conditions experienced by patients. They make up about 50% of all nail diseases/conditions. While nail fungus can be taken care of, if left untreated, it can grow into a much bigger problem. Our podiatrist near Bohemia, Dr. Muroff, can give you the care and treatment you need to fully recover!
How Can Nail Fungus Be Treated?
If left untreated, nail fungus can result in discoloration of the nail and possible infection to your toes or the rest of your feet. Thankfully, there are countless treatments that our podiatrist near Bohemia can recommend for you to help combat this condition:
- Medication – Antifungal treatments usually require the use of some type of medication to combat the symptoms and effects of toenail fungus. It’s important to speak with your doctor to determine which medication is right for you.
- Surgery – In severe cases, a procedure may have to be done so that the infection doesn’t spread to the rest of the toe and/or foot. This can involve removing a part of the toenail or the whole toenail if it is severe.
- Laser treatment – A rather unique treatment performed at our office is laser nail fungus therapy. These beams of light go deep within your foot tissue and target the source of your nail fungus! A painless experience, this is an excellent way to end your discomfort for good!
To make sure that nail fungus does not return, it’s best to follow these preventative measures so that you can reduce your risk of contracting this condition:
- Keep nails short, dry, and clean.
- Wear light socks that allow your feet to breathe.
- Use powders and sprays that deter nail fungus.
- Don’t bite or pick your fingernails/toenails.
- When using a public restroom or shower, wear shoes or sandals.
- After touching a nail that’s infected, be sure to wash your hands.
- Don’t share socks or shoes that someone else had worn.
Contact Our Podiatrist near Bohemia!
At Dr. Muroff’s practice, he believes that each patient should be treated with the utmost respect and care. Are you suffering from toenail fungus and don’t know how to get rid of it for good? Our podiatrist near Bohemia can consult with you about the best ways to eliminate toenail fungus and prevent it for the future. Make an appointment with us today!