We often find ourselves not giving our feet the attention they deserve unless they are in pain or look different than usual. It is important to make toenail health a priority and if you come see a Podiatrist in Ronkonkoma they can help you.
There are a number of different tricks and tips you can use if your toenails are not looking the way you want them too. Maintaining healthy toenails is important in order to reduce the risk of fungal nail infections. A fungal nail infection occurs from the overgrowth of fungi in, under, or on the nail. Fungi look for warm places, moist environments, this type of environment can cause them to naturally overpopulate.
Who is at Risk for Fungal Infections?
– Someone who is diabetic
– Poor blood circulation
– Nail injury
This can be very dangerous and lead to discoloration and even the nail being completely destroyed causing pain and difficulty in walking. Luckily Dr. Muroff a Podiatrist in Ronkonkoma can help you keep your toenails healthy and clean.
How to Prevent Toenail Fungus
– Clip your toenails correctly.
– Wear properly fitted shoes.
– Choose breathable footwear.
– Alternate your shoes.
– Avoid going barefoot in public areas. Locker rooms, public pools, showers, and similar areas.
– Disinfect regularly. Scrub your shower and disinfect it with a bleach-based cleanser.
– Sprinkle your shoes with an antifungal powder. Sprinkle the powder inside your socks and shoes before each wearing to prevent the growth of fungi.
There are many other things you can try at home to keep your feet healthy like:
– Using different moisturizers on your feet keeps the skin that surrounds your toenails healthy and soft which makes your nails look better.
– Soaking your feet in apple cider vinegar to get rid of discoloration.
– Foot massages can help boost circulation throughout the feet.
– Rubbing olive oil on your feet- olive oil olive oil contains Vitamin E. This helps to boost your blood circulation.
– Rub your toes with a slice of lemon. Lemon contains a lot of Vitamin C. This helps to boost the production of collagen. Which allows your nails to grow stronger, and stay healthier.
If you find yourself trying these tips at home and are still dealing with symptoms of infection come and see a Podiatrist in Ronkonkoma to take care of you. Dr. Muroff has helped many patients with different toenail conditions to start feeling comfortable again. Visit our website to see a list of all the services offered at our office to help maintain healthy toenails.